Wednesday, April 18, 2007

I'm not afraid...

Even though RIM is suffering a CrackBlackBerry outage, (update: service is being 'restored'), we get... oh hell - from a better writer than I at TechWorld:
"Great ... another way to do boring graphs. Google is set to launch a competitor to PowerPoint, the lazy marketing exec's presentation tool and the bane of many a dull conference"

Google is going after Microsoft's dominant productivity apps, and I suspect the future's so bright, we'll all be wearing shades!

Since I do a good deal of PowerPointing in my role as a Biz Comm Rebel, I thought I'd head over to take a look see at what Google is doing. Sadly, it's just a news story at the moment - nothing to touch and click; but what I did find was Google's Docs & Spreadsheets app. Wow.

Wow.

Um, the future is here - total net convergence ... why not use Google to create, store and disseminate your memos, docs, etc? It's right THERE - a click or three away. Wow.

Now, having enjoyed my time with MS Office 2007 beta, I have to say that I'd use the best tool for the job, and if my job was to drive Word 8 hours a day, I think the real thing is what you'd want. Knowing that driving a computer 8 hours a day is more what we tend to do in offices, I definitely see where using a simpler tool to do just what you need to do - get words down onto a blank page - and combined with the ability to invite those who need to see it into a collaborative environment (read - let someone else fill in the "and here magic happens" details in your biz plan), where edits are easy to see, where you can save it, print it, archive it - I sense that the Google peeps know a thing or two about getting things done.

I wonder how many peeps at Google use the Docs & Spreadsheets app?

I'm not afraid - I'm excited about the future where my stuff is easy to get to - I'd be able to finish that novel I've always wanted to start, as I wait for my connection at JFK.

No fears what so ever...

s.

No comments: